For many seniors, one of the best parts of retirement is becoming a grandparent. Loving and caring for grandchildren without being responsible for them as a parent is a rewarding experience. Experts report that a healthy relationship between grandparents and grandkids has significant physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits for all parties.
Today’s grandparents are more actively involved with their grandkids than ever before. At Buckner Villas senior living community in Austin, TX, we have designed our resident programs to help our residents lead active, fulfilling lives. We welcome family members, including grandkids, to participate in events and activities. Contact us today at 512.580.9882 to learn about our resident programs, including our wide array of educational and recreational programs.
Activities Grandparents Can Do with Their Grandkids
There is virtually no end to the activities that grandparents can do with their grandkids. Many of these activities are those seniors are encouraged to engage in to maintain their physical, emotional, and cognitive functioning and well-being.
Buckner Villas offers a wide range of activities that grandparents can enjoy with their grandkids, including:
- Arts and crafts
- Board games
- Trivia games
- Card games
- Wii bowling
- Recreational activities
Following are some specific ideas for activities grandparents can do with their grandkids:
- Twenty questions – Grandparents and grandkids take turns asking personal questions about themselves to get to know one another better.
- Draw a family tree – Grandparents can teach their grandkids about family history and share family stories.
- Teach each other a new hobby – Grandparents and grandkids have different skills they can share that may lead to them picking up new hobbies.
- Take a class together – Classes for painting, pottery, cooking, jewelry making, quilting, yoga, and more can enhance the bond between grandparents and grandkids.
- Take a walk or hike – Grandparents and grandkids can teach each other things they know about nature, have a nature scavenger hunt, treasure hunt, or play “I spy.”
No matter what activity grandparents choose to do with their grandkids, spending time together has incredible benefits for both.
Benefits of Activities for Grandparents and Grandkids
Spending time with grandparents gives children a sense of connection to history, heritage, and identity by sharing family stories and traditions. Children who have strong relationships with their grandparents learn they can depend on someone other than their parents. Research shows that children who have strong ties with grandparents experience:
- Higher levels of self-esteem
- Better emotional and social skills
- Enhanced academic performance
- Fewer behavioral problems
- Stronger interpersonal
- Increased ability to withstand peer pressure
Grandparents also reap numerous benefits from spending quality time with their grandchildren. Many seniors struggle with feelings of isolation, depression, and a loss of a sense of purpose. Strong relationships with grandchildren help seniors :
- Maintain a positive state of mind
- Stay physically and mentally active
- Create a sense of purpose
- Continue to learn and challenge themselves
- Strive to maintain their health
Grandparents and grandkids do not have to have structured activities to reap the benefits of spending time together. Going out to lunch, having a picnic, looking through old photos, watching a movie, or just talking about daily life positively impacts grandparents’ and grandkids’ well-being.
Learn More About Resident Programs at Buckner Villas
Buckner Villas is one of six retirement communities operated by Buckner Retirement Services. Our faith-based nonprofit senior living community is committed to providing you or your loved one the highest quality of living and care. Here, we understand the importance of family and the value of the relationship between you and your grandchildren.
Residents at Buckner Villas have access to an endless array of life-enriching activities on-site in our 25-acre Tuscan-style senior living community, and to all that Austin, TX has to offer. Our senior living options include:
- Independent living
- Assisted living
- Memory care
- Long-term skilled nursing care
- Respite care
Regardless of your level of care, our resident programs help you live a full and vibrant life at your highest level of independence. Contact Buckner Villas today at 512.580.9882 to learn more about our resident programs.