When your parent or loved one can no longer care for themself independently, a senior assisted living community can provide the extra support they need to stay safe and healthy while living with the highest level of independence possible. With so many diverse assisted living options available, finding the program best suited to your loved one’s needs can feel overwhelming. Scheduling a tour is critical to meet the staff, observe and talk with current residents, check out the amenities, and get a general feel for the community.
Senior assisted living at Buckner Villas in Austin, TX is tailored to seniors who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) but want to maintain their privacy, independence, freedom, and dignity. Our highly experienced staff is specially trained in an assisted living environment and works one-on-one with each resident to create a personalized care plan. Call 844.960.5295 today to schedule a visit to tour The Meadows and The Grove, our two senior assisted living residences.
Questions to Ask when Choosing Assisted Living for a Loved One
There are many considerations to consider when choosing assisted living for a loved one. Following is a brief review of critical questions to ask, broken down into specific categories:
- Care service questions – What is the staff-to-resident ratio? What training does the staff have? Is staff available 24/7? Can staff administer medication? Do you have an on-staff physician? Is your community licensed and inspected? Do staff receive ongoing training?
- Social activities questions – Do you have an on-staff activities director? Do you have an activities schedule? Does the schedule change month-to-month? Do you plan trips outside of the assisted living community? How do you encourage residents to participate in activities? What clubs do you offer?
- Pricing questions – What are your pricing plans and structures? What does the price cover? What is not included in the price? How much is your fee increase, and how often is it? What insurance do you accept? Do you offer financial assistance?
- Wellness questions – Do you have certified fitness and wellness instructors on staff? Do you have a fitness studio? Do you have a pool? What classes do you offer? How do you modify fitness programs to meet individual needs? Do you go off-site for fitness and wellness programs?
- General questions – Do you have 24/7 security? Do you allow pets? Do you have transportation services? Do apartments come furnished? Do you have maintenance, housekeeping, and laundry services? Are bathrooms shared or private? What amenities are available? What is your emergency plan for inclement weather?
Be sure also to ask questions about the dining services, including how many meals are covered, what type of dining options are available, the times, the variety, and questions about special diets. Also, ask about family involvement, including visiting hours, family support services, common areas for visits, and joining residents for meals and activities.
How to Find Assisted Living for a Loved One
Selecting a senior assisted living community for a loved one is a weighty decision. Take time to read online reviews from trusted sources, write down the criteria you are looking for, create a list of questions, and schedule a tour for yourself and at least one with your loved one. During your visits, pay attention to the following:
- Cleanliness, including floors, baseboards, ceilings, and furniture
- A floorplan that is open, accessible, and easy to follow
- Safety features, including handrails, grab bars, and call buttons
- Safety locks on doors and windows
- Common areas that encourage social gathering
- Staff and caregivers who are friendly and openly answer questions
- Ability to manage short-term and long-term care needs
- Culture, programming, and amenities that suit your loved one’s interests
Finding the right assisted living for a loved one can seem overwhelming, but it does not have to be. Start your research online, then call with questions and arrange a tour. Speak with staff, residents, and residents’ family members when possible. Utilize the internet to print checklists and questions to take with you during your visits to the community.
Discover Assisted Living Options at Buckner Villas
With so many types of senior assisted living programs available, it is critical to consider your loved one’s current needs and how they may change over time. Buckner Villas offers two assisted living options, The Meadows and The Grove. Each provides the highest quality personalized care with state-of-the-art services and amenities. Contact Buckner Villas at 844.960.5295 to learn more about senior assisted living in Austin, Texas.