Eating a healthy and nutritious diet is beneficial for everyone, especially seniors who have dietary restrictions. Nutrition counseling for seniors can greatly improve their health by taking their dietary and medical needs in mind when creating a healthy meal plan. Nutrition counseling is just one part of a senior health and wellness program that gives seniors a comfortable and fulfilling life.
At Buckner Villas, we provide a senior living community for seniors of all activity levels who are ready to move into a community that offers the best care for every retirement stage. We provide nutrition advice for seniors as part of our senior health and wellness services that provide seniors with everything they need to enjoy their retirement in comfort. For more information about our nutrition counseling for seniors, call 512.580.9882 today to speak with our staff and schedule a tour to see all that Buckner Villas has to offer.
Nutrition Counseling at Buckner Villas
As we age, our bodies begin to slow down naturally. Cuts take longer to heal, and cognitive function slows, as does the digestive process. The muscles in the stomach, esophagus, and bowels will tire quicker and cause food to sit in your body longer, leading to an increase in issues such as acid reflux and constipation.
Nutrition counseling for seniors will consider each resident’s current health and any medical conditions and create a meal plan that will benefit their health the most. Just some of the conditions that a healthy diet can help prevent include:
- Weakened immune system
- Lower energy levels
- High blood sugar
- Heart disease
- Certain cancers
At Buckner Villas, we take the health of our residents seriously and provide them with the best nutrition counseling for seniors and other health and wellness programs to greatly benefit their health.
Nutrition Advice for Seniors
You can do many things to help improve your health and reduce some of the common age-related symptoms every senior will face. A healthy diet can increase your energy, improve joint health, reduce inflammation, and other amazing benefits. Some seniors may reduce some of their medication by eating a healthy diet.
Other nutrition advice for seniors include:
- Consume more liquids. Drink plenty of water, fat-free milk, or 100% juice throughout the day, even if you do not feel thirsty.
- Cut down on table salt. All foods have sodium in them, and adding more salt to foods can increase your risk of high blood pressure, kidney disease, and other problems.
- Eat a variety of lean protein, leafy vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy.
- If your food is tasting bland, use different spices and seasonings instead of salt, like rosemary, garlic, basil, and sage.
- Cut back on your sugar intake. Sugar has no nutritional value and plenty of health risks like obesity and heart disease.
- Choose healthy fats. Not all fats are bad for you. Olive oil, nuts, avocado, and fish high in omega-3 fatty acids are excellent sources of healthy fats.
- Take vitamin supplements. Getting all of the daily vitamins and minerals through a normal diet can be challenging as you get older. Adding supplements can increase your vitamin and mineral intake and greatly increase your overall health.
Buckner Villas: Nutrition Counseling for Seniors
At Buckner Villas, nutrition counseling for seniors is just one aspect of our overall senior health and wellness programs that we offer our residents in Buckner Retirement Services communities. Additional programs and services we offer to benefit the lives of our residents include:
- Nutrition counseling
- Transportation services
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Medication management
Call 512.580.9882 today to speak with our knowledgeable staff about nutrition counseling for seniors for more information about nutrition counseling at Buckner Villas.