Proper nutrition is essential for everyone, particularly older adults. The difference between poor nutrition and good nutrition impacts the aging process. Many older adults lack essential nutrients. They often have reduced appetites, so they tend not to eat balanced meals. Seniors living on their own or with reduced incomes are at a greater risk of having poor nutrition. As we age, our bodies change. While older adults may need fewer calories, they still need enough nutrients, especially protein, vitamins, minerals, and water. Nutrition counseling helps seniors create an eating plan that allows them to enjoy the foods they love while ensuring that they get all the nutrients they need to promote good health.
At Buckner Villas, we understand the importance of a nutritious diet for helping our residents stay healthy and stave off age-related diseases such as osteoporosis, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and high blood pressure. Our team of culinary professionals provides a variety of nutritious, 5-star-quality meals all day, every day. Nutrition counseling is just one of the many benefits you or your loved one will enjoy at Buckner Villas. Call 512.580.9882 to learn more about our senior living community in Austin, TX.
The Negative Impacts of Poor Nutrition for Seniors
Malnutrition occurs when you do not have the proper nutrients to function. Malnutrition is particularly harmful to older adults, as it leaves them more vulnerable to increased risk of falling, slower recovery times, hospitalizations, and possibly death. Health problems for seniors related to poor nutrition can include the following:
- Impaired muscle function, which limits mobility
- Anemia, which causes dizziness and overall weakness
- Reduced cognitive functioning
- Decreased bone mass
- Prolonged recovery from illnesses or injuries
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
- Suppressed immunity
Nutrient needs for older adults are influenced by several factors, such as changes in body composition, chronic health conditions, and medications. Nutrition counseling can address all of these factors.
The Benefits of Nutrition Education for Seniors
Aging often causes changes in appetite that result in seniors skipping meals or turning to unhealthy fast food, frozen dinners, or other prepared packaged foods that are low in nutrients and high in fats, sugar, and sodium. Providing nutrition education for seniors helps them recognize the significant benefits of a healthy diet to reduce the risk of serious health conditions, including:
- Heart conditions – Unhealthy eating habits contribute to weight gain that increases the risk of strokes, heart attacks, and heart disease.
- Vision loss – Poor nutrition increases the risk of vision loss and can exacerbate conditions like cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, and age-related macular degeneration.
- Weakened joints and muscles – A lack of calcium and protein increases the chances of developing arthritis and osteoporosis, leading to a higher risk for slips, falls, or broken bones.
- Memory impairment – Poor nutrition can accelerate the loss of neurons in the brain, contributing to speech and memory impairments.
- Cancer – Bad eating habits lower the number of immune cells in the body, which is a primary reason cancer is common in seniors with poor nutrition.
- Bacterial infections – A low intake of vitamins, minerals, and proteins can reduce white blood cells, leading to a suppressed immune system less able to identify harmful bacteria and viruses.
Family members do not always have the time or ability to ensure that their elders eat a healthy diet that provides the nutrition they need. At Buckner Villas, we take the time to learn about our residents’ nutritional needs to ensure they get the necessary nutrients to help them stay healthy. Residents at Buckner Villas experience five-star culinary dining composed of three-course meals, seasonal specialties, classic favorites, and friendly service focused on providing nutrition to seniors without compromising taste.
Contact Buckner Villas Today
At Buckner Villas, we cater our retirement lifestyle programs to meet your needs and wants. Our staff is dedicated to ensuring that you or your loved one lives the senior years as happily, independently, and healthily as possible. Nutrition counseling is but one of the multiple benefits we have to offer. Call 512.580.9882 to learn why Buckner Villas is the premier choice for senior living in Austin, TX.