Exercise and being generally active are essential to healthy living throughout life. As we age, our bodies change considerably, and remaining physically active becomes even more critical. Researchers and physicians recommend seniors remain as active as possible without overexerting themselves. Exercise helps seniors stay healthier, live longer, and have a more enjoyable life. At Buckner Villas, Austin’s premier choice for senior living, we offer extensive recreational programs to help keep our residents active and socially engaged.
At our faith-based nonprofit senior living community, we strive to provide residents with the highest quality of life. Whether you are looking for senior living for yourself or a loved one, reach out to Buckner Villas today. Use our online form or call 512.580.9882.
The Importance of Physical Activities for Seniors
As an older adult, regular physical activity is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Physical activity helps prevent many health problems that can come with age. Keeping your bones and muscles strong allows you to continue to manage activities of daily living independently without having to rely on others. Exercise is essential if self-reliance is a priority for you or a loved one.
Following is a look at the benefits of regular physical activity:
- Exercise improves balance – Falling presents significant health risks for seniors. According to the National Council of Aging, regular exercise reduces the likelihood of falling by 23 percent.
- Exercise helps prevent and counteract disease – Depression, diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and osteoporosis are common among seniors. An active lifestyle contributes to the prevention of these diseases.
- Exercise improves brain function – A healthy body contributes to a healthy mind. Research from the Alzheimer’s Research & Prevention Foundation indicates that regular exercise reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia by 50 percent.
- Exercise improves the immune system – Regular exercise helps you get sick less often and recover more quickly from illnesses or injuries.
Remember that some physical activity is better than none — seniors who sit less and do any amount of moderate physical activity gain health benefits. The more active you are, the more benefits you gain.
The 7 Best Exercises for Older Adults
While exercise is crucial for seniors’ health, it can be hard to know where to begin, particularly if you haven’t exercised in a while. If you are 65 or older, are generally fit, and have no limiting health conditions, the recommendation is to get 150 minutes of moderate exercise weekly and muscle-strengthening activity at least twice weekly.
Before beginning any exercise regimen, check with your physician to ensure you are healthy enough for regular exercise and determine which activities are best for your fitness level. Seven of the best exercises for older adults include:
- Water aerobics or swimming
- Yoga, including chair yoga
- Resistance band workouts
- Stationary cycling
- Bodyweight workouts
Aerobic exercise trains your general fitness and endurance. Strength training builds muscle and bone. Balance exercises strengthen muscles needed for balance. Flexibility exercises reduce stiffness and increase mobility. Ideally, a senior exercise regime involves all of these exercises to promote well-rounded fitness.
Discover More Benefits of Exercise for Seniors at Buckner Villas
Buckner Villas is one of six retirement communities operated by Buckner Retirement Services. Our faith-based nonprofit senior living community is committed to providing you or your loved one the highest quality of living and care. Our senior living options include:
- Independent living
- Assisted living
- Memory care
- Long-term skilled nursing care
- Respite care
We understand the importance of physical activity, mental stimulation, and social interactions for the overall well-being of seniors. We provide a wide range of exercise programs, educational programs, and social clubs. Our care staff is committed to providing the best senior living care possible as part of their service to the greater good. Contact Bucker Villas today by calling 512.580.9882 to learn about our programs and discover what makes us more than just a senior living facility.