One of the most critical decisions facing seniors today is finding a senior living community that best suits their needs. Location, cost, size, programs, activities, amenities, and levels of care are the primary considerations in the process. However, beyond these basics, many seniors want to live in a community that supports their spiritual needs. Faith is essential to many people. According to a Pew Research Center survey, 65 % of people aged 65 and over say their religion is very important to their lives.
Buckner Villas is a faith-based senior living community in Austin, Texas. Like most faith-based retirement communities, we are a nonprofit, meaning income from housing and services is reinvested into our community and our organization’s mission. Our chaplaincy program provides emotional and spiritual support and guidance to residents, their families, and staff. If you have questions about becoming part of a faith-based senior living community, reach out to Bucker Villas. Use our secure online form or call 512.580.9882.
Why Choose a Faith-Based Retirement Community?
Some seniors choose independent living in a senior community to relieve themselves of home maintenance and upkeep burdens and surround themselves with peers and social opportunities. Others do so out of medical necessity. No matter the reason, such a move is a major life change and can be marked by anxiety and fear. Choosing a faith-based community means you will have the comfort and security of your faith during this transition.
As they become older, the ability to attend regular worship services becomes challenging for many seniors, which can contribute to isolation and loneliness. In choosing a faith-based retirement community, you can access spiritual guidance and support on-site. Additionally, a senior living community that offers transportation services gives you access to religious services in the greater community.
The proximity of services gives residents more time to worship and more opportunities to participate in church activities. Residents can have the chance to:
- Attend or lead Bible study
- Direct or sing in the choir
- Attend or conduct prayer meetings
- Go on missionary trips
- Have home visits from the chaplain
- Accompany other residents to service
- Participate in faith-based social activities
By their nature, faith-based senior living communities are open and welcoming to residents of all faiths. Choosing a faith-based community does not mean you have to be religious or spiritual. Additionally, you do not have to attend services to benefit from a chaplaincy program.
What Are the Benefits of a Faith-Based Senior Living Community?
Suppose you are a religious or spiritual person. In that case, the main benefit is choosing a faith-based senior living community is that you can easily maintain your worship practices within a community of like-minded peers.
Other significant benefits include:
- Supporting a faith-based mission – Faith-based nonprofit retirement communities have defined values and standards that direct a central mission to care for their residents, staff, and the greater community. Residents and staff have the opportunity to participate and serve in a variety of ways to support this mission.
- Family support – A resident’s family is essential to their overall well-being. A faith-based community supports families, particularly during difficult times or when residents are experiencing challenges.
- A sense of belonging – A faith-based community provides seniors with the comfort of knowing that other residents share their values and beliefs.
- Supportive staff – Staff of senior living communities have challenging jobs that can be emotionally draining. Because they view their jobs as their calling, they are motivated to provide the best possible care. Most residents report coming to view staff as part of their family.
Learn More About Faith-Based Senior Living at Buckner Villas
Buckner Villas is the premier choice for senior living in Austin, Texas. We offer a complete continuum of care to meet our residents’ wide range of needs, including:
- Independent living
- Assisted living
- Memory care
- Long-term skilled nursing care
- Respite care
Our chaplaincy program offers various faith-based services and support for residents, family members, and staff. Our faith-based community highlights and helps uphold our five core principles of connection, independence, purpose, security, and service. Contact us at 512.580.9882 to learn more about the benefits of a faith-based senior living community.