Whether you are planning to avoid a future crisis or are scrambling to address an immediate need, navigating senior care options can be confusing and challenging. Levels of care can look different between facilities and have varying criteria. The level of care your loved one needs shapes their senior living plan and influences many aspects of their senior living community experience.
At Buckner Villas, we provide the full continuum of care for senior living. Before staff can develop a senior living plan, there needs to be a complete needs assessment. It is common for families to underestimate the level of care required, so professional caregivers need to be part of the assessment. Our friendly and knowledgeable team is available to answer all of your questions. Call us at 844.960.5295.
What Are the Levels of Care for Seniors?
At Buckner Villas, we provide a range of living options to accommodate the many needs in all senior life stages. Our programs include:
Independent living is ideal for active seniors who want to get the most out of their retirement years, need little to no assistance with everyday tasks, and no longer want the hassles and responsibilities of home maintenance.
Seniors who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), including bathing, dressing, and meal prep, who cannot drive, or who need medication management services will thrive in our home-like environment while getting the help they need.
The Harbor, our memory care center, provides compassionate, dignified care for seniors with varying levels of memory impairment, such as vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s. Seniors who get lost or disoriented or whose forgetfulness poses safety threats will benefit from memory care.
Long-Term Skilled Nursing Care
The Campbell Center is our 24-hour skilled nursing facility that provides comprehensive care and rehabilitation services, including speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and medication management. This level of care benefits seniors with chronic or progressive illnesses.
Family members who take on the caregiver role for seniors are at risk for burnout. Respite care offers temporary accommodations for seniors so that caregivers can take a break to recharge, take a vacation, or deal with other issues.
What Is a Needs Assessment for Seniors?
With aging often comes the increased need for additional support. A needs assessment for seniors develops an accurate picture of a senior’s strengths and challenges. A needs assessment should include:
- A detailed list of current medications and what they are for
- A summary of their medical history
- Current cognitive abilities
- Current physical abilities
- Current level of social involvement
- Home safety concerns
- Driving ability
- Ability to manage bill paying and other financial affairs
- Nutritional needs
Our quick five-minute survey can serve as a starting point to help determine which level of care is best for your elderly parent or senior loved one.
Understanding the Different Types of Nursing Care for Seniors
Knowing the subtle differences in the different types of care for seniors is essential to ensuring that your elderly parent or loved one receives the level of care best suited to their needs.
- Skilled care vs. custodial care – Skilled care describes medical services that can only come from licensed medical personnel. Custodial care helps with ADLs, including bathing and eating, and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs), including housekeeping and meal prep.
- Assisted living vs. memory care – Both offer 24-hour supervision, personal care assistance, social activities, meals, and other amenities. Still, the memory care staff specifically handles the unique needs and issues associated with dementia.
- Home care vs. home health care – Home care refers to custodial care, while home health care refers to a higher level of care that requires medical training.
No matter the level of care your senior loved one requires, at Buckner Villas, they will receive the highest level of compassionate, individualized care to allow them to live with dignity and as much independence as possible.
Learn About Senior Care Options in Austin, TX, at Buckner Villas
Choosing a senior living provider for an elderly parent or loved one is complex. At Buckner Villas, Austin’s premier choice for senior living, we understand all that goes into your decision. Our experienced and compassionate staff are available to answer all of your questions. Reach out today to schedule an appointment to learn about what sets Buckner Villas apart from other retirement communities. Call 844.960.5295 today.