In searching for senior living options, you will frequently hear references to the full continuum of care. Broadly speaking, the continuum of care guides and directs practitioners and patients through a comprehensive array of health services over time. Regarding senior living specifically, the continuum of care refers to the different levels of care that people may need for growing older. When choosing a senior living facility for yourself or a loved one, it is crucial to understand the continuum of care. Not all facilities or communities offer the same levels of care.
Buckner Villas provides senior living options for all stages of life. We can help you determine which level of care is best suited to your current needs. Our luxury accommodations ensure that you or your loved one lives the best life possible, with the highest level of dignity and independence, in a home-like atmosphere. Reach out to our team at 844.960.5295 to learn more about our programs and services in Austin, TX.
What Is the Continuum of Care for Seniors?
Aging impacts everyone differently. Some people go through their senior years without experiencing any significant health issues, needing assistance, or losing their ability to live independently. Others encounter serious medical problems early on that require long-term care. Most seniors will experience gradual decline as they age and need to increase their care level progressively. These differences are reflected in the continuum of care.
The continuum of care for seniors involves six levels:
- Independent living – These seniors can function independently without assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs). Some choose to do so in their family home, while others prefer a senior living community.
- In-home care – Seniors continue to live independently but have someone come in to help with particular ADLs or instrumental activities of daily living (iADLs). For example, they may need help getting dressed (an ADL) or driving (an iADL) but can otherwise function independently.
- Assisted living – Seniors who require assisted living services are still active and dynamic but require a higher level of assistance with ADLs and iADLs than in-home care can provide.
- Memory care – Seniors with various forms of dementia eventually need around-the-clock supervision and specialized care in a safe and secure environment.
- Long-term care and rehabilitation – This level of care is best for seniors who require 24-hour access to comprehensive skilled nursing care following a severe injury, prolonged illness, or whose health continues to deteriorate.
- Respite care – This is ideal for seniors transitioning between stages of care who need temporary care or want to experience senior living before fully committing to it. Respite care is also a critical resource for family caregivers who need a break.
At Buckner Villas, we pride ourselves on providing the full continuum of care in senior living. Knowing that one community can meet all of their needs brings our residents and their families peace of mind.
Advantages of Continuum of Care in Senior Living
The foundation of the continuum of care in senior living at Buckner Villas is that care can evolve with residents over time, as needed. We recognize that a resident’s health may be the most vulnerable during gaps in care, so our continuum of care helps to avoid such gaps.
The most significant advantage of choosing a senior living community that offers a full continuum of care is that should a resident’s healthcare needs change or worsen over time, there is a seamless transition to the next level of care required. Other advantages include:
- Residents can age in place in a familiar environment
- There is continuity of care
- Residents have more substantial and more numerous social connections
- Residents develop personal connections with staff
- It is less stressful for residents and families
- Is it more convenient
At Buckner Villas, we know the decision to leave your family home for a senior living community does not come lightly. Our multidisciplinary treatment team is available to provide information and answer questions, to help guide you and your family. You can also schedule a visit to tour our community.
Discover Senior Living Options at Buckner Villas
Buckner Villas is nothing like retirement homes of the past. We are a faith-based, non-profit senior living community providing the best in independent living, assisted living, memory care, long-term skilled nursing care, and respite care. Reach out to us at 844.960.5295 to schedule a tour and discover for yourself why we are the premier choice for senior living in Austin, TX.