As people age, it’s not uncommon for them to begin to experience physical challenges. From balance issues to decreased muscle mass, these challenges can make everyday tasks more difficult—and even dangerous. Physical therapy services help seniors improve their quality of life by addressing these challenges and teaching them how to manage them.
At Buckner Villas, we take the health and wellness of our residents seriously. With a full spectrum of senior living services, including physical therapy, we strive to keep the seniors in our community as healthy as possible. With independent, assisted, and memory care living options, every senior can find a home to meet their needs. Call 844.960.5295 or contact us online to learn more.
Why Seniors Might Need Physical Therapy
There are several reasons why an older person might need physical therapy. Some common reasons are:
- Poor balance – One in three adults over the age of 65 falls each year. Falls can cause serious injuries, including hip fractures and head trauma, so it’s important to address balance issues as soon as possible.
- Decreased muscle mass – As people age, they naturally lose muscle mass. This loss of muscle mass can lead to weakness, making it difficult to perform everyday tasks like getting out of a chair or walking up stairs.
- Joint pain – Joint pain is a common issue for seniors. Physical therapy can help by strengthening the muscles around the joint and providing pain relief.
- Chronic conditions – Many seniors live with chronic conditions such as arthritis, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, and stroke. These conditions can cause mobility issues and other problems that physical therapy can help address.
Physical therapy services can help seniors gain confidence in their movement and help correct any imbalances that may stem from chronic or acute health conditions.
What to Expect from Senior Physical Therapy Services
If you or your loved one is considering starting a physical therapy program, it’s important to know what to expect. When you attend an initial consultation, the therapist will perform an assessment to identify any areas that need to be addressed. They will also ask about any goals for therapy and any concerns. Based on this information, they will develop a personalized treatment plan.
Your treatment plan may include exercises to improve your strength, flexibility, and range of motion; manual therapies like massage; and modalities like heat or cold therapy or electrical stimulation. The therapist will also teach you or your loved one how to perform activities of daily living safely and provide tips for fall prevention.
Types of Physical Therapy for Seniors
There are many different types of physical therapy that can be beneficial for seniors. Here are some of the most common:
- Aquatic therapy – Aquatic therapy is often performed in a heated pool and is ideal for seniors who are unable or unwilling to participate in land-based therapies. The water provides resistance that helps build strength while relieving pain and swelling.
- Balance training – Balance training helps seniors improve their balance and coordination to reduce their risk of falling.
- Orthopedic rehabilitation – Orthopedic rehabilitation helps seniors recover from orthopedic surgery or an injury by strengthening the muscles around the joint and improving range of motion.
- Pain management – Pain management helps seniors find relief from chronic pain so that they can better enjoy their lives.
Senior Living at Buckner Villas
At Buckner Villas, we offer a wide range of physical therapy services for seniors. Our community is equipped with the latest technology, and our experienced therapists are passionate about helping seniors achieve their goals. Call 844.960.5295 or contact us online to find out more about community life and the support we provide at Buckner Villas.